Monday, 28 May 2012

Things that inspire me: Walled Gardens


As a location I feel that walled gardens can lend a mythical and secretive aspect to a story. The Secret Garden is, of course, and obvious story which involves the walled garden as its focal point.  

I have always wanted to have a walled garden and although a wall can be interpreted as a prison, I see it more as a retreat. 

This is the walled garden that the Kingswood heritage museum, I think the patterns in the wall really add to the beauty of the garden and the also to the sense of mystery.





 


This is the beautiful gothic gate in Basingstoke's walled garden. I love the way the symmetry also manages to maintain a sense of the wild with the different types of plants leading up to the gate. 




This is an impositng walled Garden from Southwest and Ayrshire, again there is a rugged symmetry and this time the wall is huge and imposing, yet there is no gate.







It is the mystery and attractivness of the walled garden that made me want my story 'Serafin' to start off with the title character hiding in a walled Garden.

You can read the first chapter of the story here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Image: smarnad / FreeDigitalPhotos.net